Monday, January 28, 2008

Quote of the Week ~ 1/28/08

Normally the quotes of the week I post are of a humorous nature, but I wanted to share with you my kids' reactions to the news that our prophet, Gordon B. Hinkley, had passed away Sunday evening.

First of all, I would like to note that at the time of his passing, we were having a Family Home Evening lesson about being a Child of God. We were talking about how we can become just like our Heavenly Father, and how to gain those godly attributes for ourselves. It's going to be a bittersweet 'where were you when you heard?' remembrance for us.

When we told the kids Ellie immediately teared up...it was so touching. She said, "But, I don't think I was ready for him to die yet...Why did he have to die now?" We told her that Heavenly Father said it was his time to go, and that he was probably really happy to see his wife and Jesus...and that someday we would see him again. She said, "But that probably won't be for a very long time...and what if I wanted to see him sooner?" Ben said, "I'm weally going to miss him now." We told them that we would have our memories of him, and that we could read what he taught us in the Friend and Ensign. Ellie then said, "I don't think I'm ready to talk about this anymore right now." Afterward we had some good snuggle time...such tender-hearts!

I'm so grateful for the time we had with President Hinkley...his influence, testimony, and love were truly felt in our family's life. We will miss him, but are grateful for the knowledge we have that he is truly in a better place and he is happy in his reunion with his sweet Marjorie, and other loved ones. The gospel is a true comfort and blessing to us at these times. We love you all!

2 comments:

ADDollhouse said...

That is so sweet.

Linda said...

Your children always make me laugh, Sarah...but not this time. Tonight I have teary eyes and a big lump in my throat. What sweet, sweet hearts they have. Thanks for sharing.