I thought I'd share some pics from my family's Halloween celebrations last week! We are one of those families that love to dress up...I never really out grew it, I guess, and I love coming up with creative ways to make a character!
We'll start out with the kids first! Let's face it...our youngest doesn't really care what she dresses up as...so I went with something that the kids could use in the dress up box Post-Halloween.
Mimi went as a a Flower Fairy Princess!


The skirt was fromt he thrift store! The shirt, tights, and shoes are some from her own wardrobe. The wings, wand and crown were from Walmart. The wand, wings, crown and skirt went right into the dress-up box after Halloween!
Next is Maddie as Cinderella!


She wore a dress with an overskirt, both from the thrift store. She wore her own turtleneck and tights, and wore thrift store shoes that I glittered using ModPodge. Her crown and the ribbon around her waist were from Walmart.
I crocheted her Cinderella hair/hat...it's actually the Rapunzel hat I made for her worn backwards with the hair pulled around into a bun!
Lilly is next, as a simple Black Cat!
.jpg)

The best thing about this costume is that it cost nothing! We already had everything in our costume box to make this one: Black fleece jumpsuit (I think I got it from the thrift store several years ago...it's one of those great basic costume pieces that works for so many things!), cat ears (also from years ago), and a simple hat I crocheted! The rest is just make-up and cuteness!
Ben wanted to be Harry Potter for Halloween this year, which was another fantastically easy costume!


He wore his own church slacks, shoes, and sweater, and topped it off with borrowed glasses, a decoration broom, and a black cape from the costume box. I made the scarf myself, so the cost of this was FREE, since I already had the yarn on hand for the scarf!
Ellie was the trickiest of the kids to outfit this year. She always has the most outlandish ideas on what she wants to be each year. (She's been a Sea Monster, a mermaid, a Phytosaur (a large semi-aquatic Late-Triassic reptile - NOT A DINOSAUR!
), a Hippogriff, Charlotte (from Charlotte's Web), Ludvig von Beethoven, and 13 (the black cat from the Zimmer twins)! Oy.)
), a Hippogriff, Charlotte (from Charlotte's Web), Ludvig von Beethoven, and 13 (the black cat from the Zimmer twins)! Oy.)
This year was no exception! She wanted to go as Steampunk Napoleon Bonaparte! Sheesh!

Her costume was constructed using mostly thrift store finds and some items from the costume box. The shirt and sash were from our costume box, the boots are her own, and the jacket and pants are from the thrift store. I took a ladies blazer jacket and cropped it, making a tail-coat, adding braiding and fringe for epalets, etc. I also added brass buttons to the jacket and front of the pants.
She's got my Grandpa's stop watch safety-pinned to the jacket as well as a crest made of felt, shiny metallic flowers, bottle caps, alarm clock parts, ribbon, and wire.
The hat is made from felt that I sewed into to right shape, stuffed, painted with a gold stripe, and added a badge made from more clock parts, ribbon, scrapbook supplies, buttons, and feathers.

All in all I think it came out splendidly...and her expression tops it off perfectly. She really sold it!
Tomorrow I'll post about my own and Marc's costumes!
Hope you all had a very Happy and safe Halloween!!
1 comment:
Sarah, I think YOU are amazing and totally awesome to come up with such great costumes!!! I love the photos :o) Such an adorable flower fairy princess; a beautiful Cinderella (love the expression!); a pretty fierce looking black cat (the make-up is fabulous!); a wonderful Harry Potter wizard; and a very convincing Napoleon--steampunk style!!! Thank you for sharing the fun photos with us ;o)
Post a Comment