
This morning as we were getting breakfast made for the kids, Marc was singing some of the lyrics to a song by the band "Rush," entitled Lakeside Park. It goes:
"Everyone would gather
On the twenty-fourth of May
Sitting in the sand
To watch the fireworks display.
Dancing fires on the beach,
Singing songs together...
Though it's just a memory,
Some memories last forever."
It's song that he's shared with me often when he's thinking about his mom, who passed away from liver failure when he was 13 years old.
Ellie turned around, looked at the calendar, and said, "Hey! It's the 24th of May! It's Grandma Janet's B-Day today!"
Marc said, "Yes it is. You're right!"
Ellie turned to Marc and asked, soberly,"Daddy, how long has it been since Grandma Janet died?"
Marc, who very rarely gets teary, said, "It's been twenty years this year."
Ellie, sweetly and innocently said, "Can we go to her grave and sing 'Happy Birthday' to her?"
I teared up, and Marc just began to sob. Ellie came over to him, hugged him, told him sorry and that it was ok. It amazes me how in tune she is sometimes. When she was a baby, she had a blessing in which she was told that, although she had never met her angel Grandmother, she would share Janet's talents, strengths, and tenderness. Over and over again, I am reminded of this blessing, and I know that she has those gifts... And that Grandma Janet is watching over us.
I'd just like to say how grateful I am for Grandma Janet...For the love she had for my husband. For her testimony and strength of character. For her loving influence in his life. For helping Marc to become the loving father and husband that he is today.
Happy Birthday, Grandma Janet. We love you and miss you.
6 comments:
Thank you for sharing that sweet and tender tribute. I have always been grateful for Ellie's sensitive and gentle nature. There have been many times when her actions have reminded me of the Savior's teaching that we need to become as a little child. Thank you, Ellie. I'm grateful to see your Grandma Janet's legacy continuing on.
Sara,
Tell Ellie we went and sang to her. I will send you guys pictures of the flowers we left at her grave and you can share it with your kids:)
You win - it's very, very rare for a blog post to make me tear up. Thanks for that sweet thing. XO
Thanks, Abbi...It means a lot. You, too Bec. We love you guys!
What a sweet and touching post. I wish I knew Grandma Janet.
Gosh, thanks for making me cry. ;)
Post a Comment