Thursday, November 6, 2008

Dear Santa...

I know it's a bit early to be posting anything about Christmas (I haven't even uploaded my Halloween pics, yet!), but I felt I needed to share this sweet experience.

Last week Ellie surprised me by telling me she had her letter to Santa all ready to go. When I asked her why she had done it so early she replied, "I just didn't want to get into a rush later on."

Rolling my eyes, I took the letter from her hands and began to read. It read:

"Dear Santa,

I would like to have: a Playmobile Dino set (not complete),"

Here I interjected and asked what she meant by 'not complete.'

She said, "Well, you know, I don't need to get all of them...just one." I continued to read:

"...and the girl's Book of flower fairies. I wanted to make my list small. I didn't want to pressure so much of you.

Love, Ellie"

My first reaction to this (after I told Ellie what a nice letter she had written) was that I was a horrible mom. Seriously, what seven-year-old writes to Santa, and tells him she doesn't want to pressure him? Had I squelched her dreams? Had I made her think she wasn't good enough? I felt awful.

After having some time to think about it, I've come to realize that she's showing that she's learned that being content with what you have/get, and being grateful for it...and being grateful when you get more than that, or when you don't, is good. The lessons we've tried to teach her are sinking in...and that's good, too.

I've worried so much that I've been too indulgent, that my children aren't learning the truths of the gospel, that they aren't concerned about others...but I know now that they are hearing me. I'm so grateful for this little experience and especially for my sweet, loving, little Ellie-bug, and the things she teaches me every day.

Ellie's Letter to Santa ~ 2008

5 comments:

Megan said...

What a good girl!! It is so good to know that our children are really listening and learning life's lessons.

Loretta said...

Sarah, it could be worse. Your younger daughter, at 3, could tell you, "I just want a million toys!" Not that Ally ever did that or anything. No, sir. ;)

Unknown said...

That's beautiful! What a conscientious daughter you have, Sarah! You should be proud. :)

Susan said...

That is a very sweet letter!

Gramma Joy and Grampa Todd said...

Sarah and Ellie,
What a wonderful letter! And, what a sweet, thoughtful girl you are, Ellie. You bring happy tears to my eyes!